What is it?
The YLs Course is a 24-week online course, with optional 6-hour face-to-face and exam components. The course consists of 20 modules on a wide variety of teaching topics relating to Young Learners; making it the perfect course for teachers wishing to build on the knowledge gained in their initial teacher training course and better prepare themselves for their YLs classes. Participants are expected to spend around 3 hours per week on the course, in order to complete all 20 modules within the specified time at the rate of one module per week. There are 4 extra weeks of online access at the end of the course to complete two obligatory written assignments.
There is also the option of taking the official Cambridge Assessment English TKT:YL exam in San Sebastián (Centre ES409) at the end of the course in order to receive an official Cambridge Assessment English teaching qualification; recognised in countries all over the world. The exam will take place three times a year (March, July and November). Participants must sit the exam after completion of the online course component and within 12 months of doing so.
Please note, there will only be one exam session in 2020, and this will be on Friday 20th November.
There is an optional face-to-face component to the course which will be run in our Teacher Training Centre in San Sebastián in May and November. During this 6-hour session, teachers will take part in practical activities which will enhance their understanding of the techniques and approaches covered in the online course.
Please note, there will only be one face-to-face session in 2020, and this will be on Saturday 21st November.
Each participant who successfully completes all elements of the online course within the specified 24 weeks and submits the two pieces of written work will be awarded with a certificate outlining the length and topics covered on The YLs Course. Teachers who also complete the face-to-face component will see this reflected in their final course certificate.
Teachers who complete and pass the TKT:YL exam will receive an official Cambridge Assessment English certificate outlining the qualification obtained along with the date.
Extra Course Components
In order to sign up for the extra course components, you need to select the option when you sign up for The YLs Course. You will then need to access the courses themselves on the main course page; selecting one or two of the extra course components you wish to take. Once we have received your access request, we will check that you are enrolled on The YLs Course and we will accept your request. You can then pay for the course, using the secure online payment system, either through your bank or via PayPal.
After the payment has been confirmed, we will contact you with further information regarding the extra course components.
Please note, you can only complete the extra components once you have completed The YLs Course online.
Teachers must complete ID verification on the secure online platform before they are able to download their end-of-course certificate. This is checked by one of the course administrators to ensure that the certificate you receive is a trustworthy representation of the course you have completed. This then allows you to use this qualification to add credit to your professional and educational history. This ID verification will be reflected in the course certificate you are awarded following successful completion of the course.
The modules on The YLs Course are aimed at providing teachers with a more in-depth understanding of Young Learners classes; including video observations of real classes, interviews with teachers, video tutorials, sample material and further suggested reading. At the end of each module, teachers will be required to complete a short ‘Test Your Knowledge’ section, which will check that they have thoroughly understood the elements covered in that module. There will be downloadable content on each module, which the course participants can keep for future classroom use and reference. Once the 24 weeks have elapsed course participants will not be able to access these via the platform.
The aim of The YLs Course is to:
- provide teachers with a detailed insight into the teaching of YLs
- give teachers of YLs the chance to learn from experienced teachers and industry experts
- increase teachers’ confidence when teaching classes of varying age-groups and levels.
Why take The YLs Course?
The YLs Course qualification from London School of Languages will enable you to:
- provide evidence of teacher training for YLs classes to current and potential employers
- become more confident when faced with different ages and levels
- critically analyse your behaviour in the classroom and how this influences the YLs you are teaching.
Two components of assessment
There are two components of assessment on the online course, which you must pass in order to be awarded with the end-of-course certificate.
TYK end-of-module assessment
- At the end of each of the 20 modules, there is a Test-Your-Knowledge (TYK) section, in which you’ll have to get 80% or above to be able to move on to the next module.
- You can take the TYK as many times as you like.
- At the end of the course, you must complete two written assignments which must be between 750-1000 words in length.
- These will be based on the content of the modules you have studied throughout the course.
- Both assignments will be submitted on the platform and assessed by one of the course tutors, who will mark them as pass or resubmit.
- You can resubmit them as many times as you like within the 24-week access to the online platform.
Why take the additional course components?
The aim of the face-to-face component of The YLs Course is to:
- provide teachers with the opportunity to put what they have learnt on the course into practice
- allow teachers to talk to course tutors about issues they face in the YLs classroom
- meet other teachers of YLs to share ideas and expand teaching network.
The aim of the Cambridge Assessment English TKT:YL exam is to:
- provide teachers with the opportunity to obtain an official Cambridge Assessment English qualification to supplement The YLs Course qualification
- put teachers’ awareness of YLs and their development into practice
- demonstrate knowledge of teaching strategies, methodology and resources used in the YLs classroom.